Custody Statistics For Fathers
What percentage of parents with full custody are men?
13.4 millionparents have full custody
1 in 6 or 17.5% are fathers
Are men getting full custody more often now?
Surveys of judges in Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee showed a clear preference for maternal custody.
Attorneys surveyed felt that judges exhibited prejudice against fathers some of the time.
More than 20 state legislatures, however, considered bills in 2017 to encourage shared parenting or make that the legal presumption, even in disputed cases.
Which states have the most fathers with full custody of their children?
with 50% custody for fathers
33.7% custody time
fathers are likely to receive for their children in alabama
Politics and Parenting
“red” states have been more reluctant to move to shared custody time than “blue” states.
What factors make menmore likely to gain custody?
- The child’s wishes (based on age)
- The child’s relationship with each parent
- The father’s ability and willingness to spend time with the child
- The father’s ability to support the child financially
- The best interests of the child
- Safety of the child (in the case of abuse or other issues)
What are the likely trends for fathers gaining
custody in the future?
25 states considered 50/50 shared
parenting time in 2017
35 states considered 50/50 shared
parenting time in 2018